tishaturk: (pen)
A while back--okay, more like 18 months ago--I published an essay and didn't mention it here because it's not, strictly speaking, about vidding or fandom. (It's about "technological professional development": professors learning how to use technology in our teaching and scholarship.)

But earlier this week, because we're having a research nerd-fest on my campus, the essay was brought back to my attention, and I remembered that there is one part of it that might be of interest to fans, which is the intro video. As I say in the video, "most of what I know about new media technology and new media composing I learned from online media fandom."

You can also, if you're so inclined, read the whole essay--it's online and open-access--though I note that something has changed about the code since it was originally posted and the layout is kind of screwy in places. Honestly, the video and the animated .gif (I learned how to do a new thing!) are probably the best parts anyway.
tishaturk: (keyboard)
I'm currently in Columbus, Ohio for DMAC: Ohio State University's Digital Media and Composition Institute. I'm very glad to be here; I'm finding the instructors helpful, my fellow attendees delightful, and the readings very thought-provoking. But one of our first hands-on projects frustrated me immensely.

Here's what happened: We were assigned a few small projects centering on recording and editing a literacy narrative to submit to the Digital Archive of Literacy Narratives. (I'll be writing more about the DALN; I would love to see fannish folks contributing narratives about our particular print and media and multimodal literacies, not least because I would love to curate a collection of those narratives. But that's a story for another post!)

We recorded our narratives with some nifty little cameras that can be converted to audio-only; the sound quality wasn't great, but in fairness my partner and I were recording outside, so the wind noise we got was our fault entirely. I mean, I missed using my own equipment, but I could deal with that.

Then we started editing the audio we'd recorded, first to tidy up our narratives and then to use snippets of them to create a PSA for the DALN. This is where I started to get cranky. )

Since that early assignment we've had several more assignments, more lab time, more software instruction, and more (though not nearly enough!) discussion of our readings (the curious among you can check out the schedule). I'm hoping to write more about DMAC, but this post has already been delayed long enough by that whole DMCA thing, so I'm going to finish it and go out for Italian food with some of my compatriots and hope my brain is in better shape tomorrow.


tishaturk: (Default)
Tisha Turk

November 2016

  12 345



RSS Atom

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags